The Daisy Award
The DAISY (Diseases Attacking the Immune SYstem) Award for Extraordinary Nurses was created in memory of J. Patrick Barnes who died of 33 of ITP, an auto-immune disease. The Barnes Family was awestruck by the clinical skills, caring, and compassion of the nurses who cared for Patrick. They created this international award to say thank you to nurses everywhere.
Who Can Be Nominated?
Anyone can nominate a nurse for the DAISY Award. The DAISY Award committee selects one nurse who exemplifies the following characteristics each month:
- Established a special connection with a patient/family
- Has significantly made a difference in the life of a patient
- Shows empathy in all situations
- Is an outstanding role model for the nursing profession
- Generates enthusiasm and energy towards meeting the challenges of nursing
- Consistently exhibits excellent interpersonal skills
- Exemplifies the essence of professional nursing in all activities